Sweet Potato, Pear, and Carrot Soup

{ when there's snow, there's soup. }
Another snowstorm.  Another cold winter's day.  Another perfect day for soup.  I had 3 large sweet potatoes on hand.  But I wanted to find something that would complement it.  So I looked in the fridge and found this glistening Bosc pear.


And then I also saw some carrots which I decided would be a good addition to the soup as well (forgot to take a picture though).  

I adapted a recipe from Taste of Home and it was fabulous.  I will definitely be making this again - snowstorm or not.  But quite truthfully, I'm hoping to never see another snowflake again this winter unless it's a garnish on a soup.  :)

Sweet Potato, Pear, and Carrot Soup
{ Makes: 6 servings; Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes }
Adapted from Taste of Home

3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
3 cups chicken broth, divided
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large pears, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

  1. In a large saucepan or pot, combine the sweet potatoes, carrots, 2 cups of chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
  2. Meanwhile in another large saucepan, cook and stir the pears and onion in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.  Stir in 1 cup of chicken broth.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.  Stir into the sweet potato mixture.  Cool slightly. 
  3. In a blender, cover and puree soup in batches; return all to the pot.  Stir in the cream, pepper and remaining salt; heat through (do not boil).   Garnish with slices of pear.  


Jill Colonna said...

Wow. Sweet potato and carrot, ok. But bosc PEAR, too? That sounds sensational. Love the garnish, too!

cake said...

What a unique combination of flavors. I am sure this would go very well with some simple breadsticks :)
- abeer @ www.cakewhiz.com

sweetsbysillianah said...

mmm sounds like a soup my dad would love... he's a big fan of sweet potatoes. this could almost be a dessert! ;)

Rachel said...

Thank you for the comments, ladies! I thought the pear would be a nice touch. But when I googled sweet potato and pear soup, it seems common enough. So much for originality! It was quite delicious, although my boys were not so crazy about the cinnamon/nutmeg but I think it gave it a wonderful flavor.

Tiffany said...

This sounds just wonderful! I made a squash soup with pear and loved it! And I love the picture as well!!!

Georgia (The Comfort of Cooking) said...

What an absolutely lovely soup and presentation! I never would have thought to put pear in a soup, but I bet it adds a wonderfully tasty sweetness to this savory dish. I love the sweet potatoes in it, too. Definitely going to give this a try soon. Thanks for sharing, Rachel!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...