Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Drizzle

I had a whole bag of coconut flakes in my fridge and figured I should do something with them.

So I made these:

{ coconut macaroons drizzled in chocolate }
Now I'm not normally a huge coconut macaroon fan.  I don't drool at the sight of them or ever have a craving.  But since I had all the ingredients and it seemed easy enough to make, I figured I'd give it a try.

I found a recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook that called for coconut flakes, egg whites. vanilla extract, sugar, and flour.  It seemed way too easy to be true.  Well, it was. 

Now I feel it's important to be open and honest, even in this venture of learning to bake and cook.  So here's the skinny on my first attempt at coconut macaroons:  I misread the amount of sugar (added 2/3 cup instead of 1/3), forgot to whip the egg white, skimped on the coconut flakes, and added more flour than called for (basically I didn't listen to instructions).  What I got was this:

{ coconut UFOs? }
Coconut saucers, anyone?  If these look appealing to you, I can give you the recipe.  Ugh.  My poor husband.  He hates to let anything go to waste, so he ended up eating all of these.  Crazy thing is he actually enjoyed them.  Glad someone did.

I had to redeem myself, so I tried making another batch using a different recipe which called for sweetened condensed milk and the end result was so much better!  They actually looked and tasted like macaroons!  YAY!

{ ah, that's more like it. }
Here's the recipe I used from Ina Garten (you can't go wrong with Barefoot Contessa).   The only variations I made were adding 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, using regular salt instead of kosher, and adding the chocolate drizzle.
Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Drizzle

Ingredients

14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (for drizzle)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour (this will help the cookies from sticking).  Use the upper level of the oven to help toast the coconut while baking.

Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl.  Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks. Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.

Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove and cool on wire rack.

For the chocolate drizzle, pour 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl.  Microwave on high for 1 minute or until chocolate is smooth enough to stir.  Then drizzle on top of coconut macaroons.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am such a sucker for coconut... if only it wasn't so fatty, I would eat it all the time :)

briarrose said...

Beautiful! The chocolate drizzle adds an excellent finishing touch.

Kori said...

These are beautiful! What a great way to use up some coconut :)

The Housewife Diary said...

These look amazing!! A slight fail here and there definitely keeps us on our toes.

Rachel said...

Thank you all for your comments. I didn't realize coconut macaroons were so popular. :) I definitely find the best way to learn is from our mistakes.

Brown Cookie Blog said...

Great way to use up all the coconut flakes!! Beautiful cookies!

Anonymous said...

I just made Ina's macaroons this weekend, too! Beautiful- and tasty! Congrats on top 9!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...